Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Goal

Before I go on with the history of the case I wanted to state what the goal of the quest here is. Simply put, my goals are:

  • Bring Naugles back
  • Bring the real Naugles food back
  • Bring it to as many people as possible
  • Be personally involved in all this

Some might wonder: Should Del Taco be involved in this endeavor? The answer to that is: sure, if they could do it in a way that truly meets the goals above. If they can't do it or are unwilling to then I need to accomplish those goals separately from them. My legal case only began after they seemed to have ignored the possibility of bringing Naugles back on their own and after they stopped responding to me about it. I could have kept bugging them about it for another couple years but I was already getting the message that they didn't really want to do it.

I actually like Del Taco and eat there quite a bit. I also miss their jalapeño rings and some other old menu items of theirs. I liked in the 80's when you could choose between Del Taco and Naugles and I frequently went to the Brookhurst & Slater and Gothard & Center locations when they were each co-branded as Del Taco/Naugles.

My legal action only began after repeated communications to Del Taco went ignored. Their reaction to it (comprised of stalling, obfuscation, ignoring the facts of the case, etc.) has made me appear hostile, however, when I believe there is room in this world for both chains. I strive to operate with an abundance mentality rather than with a scarcity mentality, which is described here:

"People with a scarcity mentality tend to see everything in terms of win-lose: 'There is only so much; and if someone else has it, that means there will be less for me.' The more principle-centered we become, the more we develop an abundance mentality, the more we are genuinely happy for the successes, well-being, achievements, recognition, and good fortune of other people. We believe their success adds to...rather than detracts from...our lives."

- Stephen R. Covey

The next post will get into how the legal aspect of the quest began.

2 comments: